Lenny Sanchez, Your HVAC Expert
Lenny is a true blue New Mexican, born and raised right here in Albuquerque. He and his daughter Jaylyn are very close, and he’s helping her chase her gymnastic dreams! In his spare time, Lenny enjoys snowboarding and riding bikes. He started working in the field as young as 15 years old with his grandpa and is now a licensed Journeyman in Refrigeration and Gas-fitting. He’s a great addition to our team here at TLC!
Lenny’s 4 Refrigerated Air Tips
Refrigerated air conditioners are not as difficult to get started up as swamp coolers. They still need a little attention after a long winter of disuse. Lenny shared how to prep your refrigerated air unit for the hot summer months.
1. Get an Annual AC Inspection
Lenny shared that it’s important to get your air conditioner inspected by a professional every spring. He shared five reasons an AC inspection will benefit you:
- You will catch potential problems early. This is important because when one part fails, it often causes other components to fail as well. Lenny calls it the “domino effect.” Having a licensed HVAC technician inspect your system will help you avoid emergency repairs like this.
- Your technician will conduct preventive maintenance. The goal of preventive maintenance is to prevent major problems and repairs. By cleaning the entire unit and replacing old or damaged parts before they fail, you can prevent many expensive repairs in the future.
- Increases the efficiency of the AC. A well-maintained air conditioner works more efficiently. This is great news for your energy bills and the environment because it wastes less electricity and refrigerant.
- Keeps you up to date with refrigerant. Refrigerant is the cooling agent in your refrigerated air conditioner. Unfortunately, refrigerants don’t last the lifetime of the AC. A technician will be able to tell you if you need to get the refrigerant recharged. An inspection will also keep you up to date with which refrigerants are being phased out for environmental reasons, like R22.
- You will have peace of mind. With so many things to worry about in our world today, you shouldn’t have to worry about your air conditioner too. An inspection gives you the peace of mind that everything is running the way it should be.
Pro Tip: Lenny suggests you give your landscape a look before your AC inspection. It’s not because he’s worried about curb appeal. Most refrigerated air conditioners are outside on the ground. He suggests cleaning up the vegetation around your unit because plants can grow into it and cause damage. It also makes it easy to access for service and inspections.
2. Change the Air Filter
Another important thing Lenny mentioned about air conditioners was that the filter needs to be changed. The air filter catches dust and debris before it gets into the air conditioner. If the air filter gets dirty, it starts to suffocate your air conditioner and make it work harder to cool your home. If the air filter is missing altogether, it can cause serious damage to your air conditioner.
If you get your air conditioner inspected, your HVAC professional will do this for you, but it’s really easy to do yourself. Air filters are inexpensive and simple to put in. It is suggested that you replace your air filter every three months. If you have pets, you’ll want to replace it once a month.
3. Breathe Easy with an Indoor Air Quality System
Allergy season always hits hard in New Mexico. Albuquerque is on the list for one of the toughest cities in the United States for allergies! Your refrigerated air system can actually make it worse by spreading dust, pollen, and germs through your house.
Lenny suggests installing an Indoor Air Quality System in your refrigerated air system. It removes dust, pollen, and animal dander, and kills chemicals and infectious agents like viruses and bacteria. It’s a great option if allergies, asthma, or other medical conditions hit you hard in the spring and summer. Learn more about Indoor Air Quality Systems.
4. Increase Your Comfort with a Wi-Fi Enabled Thermostat
The unpredictable New Mexico weather can make it hard to keep your home at the right temperature. You leave for work in the morning and it’s too cold. You get home from work in the afternoon and it’s too hot. A Wi-Fi thermostat can help. With a Wi-Fi thermostat, you can control the temperature in your home from your smartphone anywhere there’s an internet connection. You can also pre-program the temperature to fit your schedule. If you have a hard time getting the right temperature, this might be a good option for you.
The heat is on its way but armed with these tips, you will be ready. If you have any questions about your refrigerated air conditioner, feel free to ask us. You can also book your air conditioning inspection today. Request service or give us a call at 505-761-9644.
TLC Plumbing is HVAC company in Albuquerque, NM