Celebrating our nation’s freedom with food and fireworks is fun. The 4th of July is a special time to make memories with family and friends. It’s the holiday that ushers in summer with a bang or two.
Unfortunately, it is easy to forget that approaching Independence Day activities carelessly can lead to accidents. You can greatly decrease the risks by taking these easy steps in advance.
- Check on city and state laws before purchasing and using consumer fireworks.
- Only purchase fireworks from a licensed vendor.
- Clear debris from an area at a safe distance from structures.
- Be prepared to combat fires with a water hose and a bucket of water.
- Check your local weather forecast. Dry, windy weather can lead to problems.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages while lighting fireworks.
- Follow the instructions and light only one firework at a time.
- Never allow children to handle fireworks.
- Safely restrain pets inside or off site where they will not be frightened.
- Check gas grills for leaks before lighting.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby in case of emergency.
- Do not use water on grease fires.
- Keep decorations well away from the grill.
3. Summer Sun
- Stock up on water and sports drinks to combat dehydration.
- Use a sunscreen with a minimum of 30 SPF to protect from burns.
- Reapply sunscreen every few hours.
- Know the signs and symptoms of heat stress and heat stroke.
- Have a plan in case of separation from children and companions.
- Stay behind designated barriers.
- Maintain a safe distance from floats, vehicles, and animals.
- Never mount or dismount a moving float or vehicle.
From all of us at TLC, we hope you have a happy and safe Independence Day!